“Without an active leader who takes responsibility for building a network, spontaneous connection between groups emerges very slowly, or not at all.”
So, what are the five key elements of Emergent Leadership?
1. Encourage/ stimulate lots of actors (help build critical mass).
2. Articulate simple, consistent rules.
3. Articulate simple, deep values and goals.
4. Articulate simple, appropriate roles.
5. Assume NO direct command and control.
Is there any evidence of this kind of “Emergent Leadership” happening in OT? Well, YES! LOTS! Just look for the “worker bee” spark plugs in any of the encampments. (These are the folks with the dark circles under their eyes, from working day and night.) They’ve got dark circles, because most of their time is spent swimming against an “anti-leadership” tide.