Technology is a double-edged sword, making one’s livelihood better while simultaneously causing one to distance him/herself from others. People are connected but not present. Digital communication and social media can:
- Foster one to become a workaholic;
- Cause one to be less cautious and more trusting of strangers;
- Enable one to be able to hide his/her identity and intentions by hijacking another’s computer system;
- Invade other’s lives, steal their identity and funds and destroy their livelihoods; and
- Mask themselves as human-centric cures for loneliness, isolation and separation.
Sincetechnology is intrinsic to today’s way of living and working, how can we “disconnect” in ways so we can authentically “connect” with each other and thus be in meaningful relationships?
A very truly complex challenge with no easy answer.