This desk study was undertaken to provide an overview of current writing on distributed leadership. It was intended to investigate the extent to which:
• there was a common understanding of the term
• writing in the field covered both formal and informal leadership
• the literature provided practical advice to heads and other school leaders in developing distributed leadership within their organisations.
This was to be achieved through a systematic trawl of the leadership literature related to both forprofit
and not-for-profit organisations. The research team was aware of the range of theoretical perspectives on organisational theory that might influence writers’ interpretation of distributed leadership, and this breadth receives attention in the following report. However, the two key criteria in assessing the literature for inclusion were the extent to which each item:
• specifically addressed the concept of distributed leadership or very closely related
• clearly addressed issues of practice directly related to it
This report consists of a short main section and an appendix.
Read also: Distributed Leadership Basics